Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Voice Thread and Social Constructivism

Voice Thread
This week I learned about social learning and Voice Threads (https://voicethread.com). Voice Threads is a great social networking tool that was new for me this week. Voice Threads extends the learning with interactive multimedia. The technology is accessible because viewers can comments about the construction of content. They can make meaning of what is being taught and work collaboratively with one another. By providing technology and social learning, authentic learning occurs and students are engaged in constructing meaning of the content.

I created a Voice Thread about the events leading up to the American Revolutionary War. At the end of this voice thread my students will have two assignments. The conflict that my students will debate is the Tories or Loyalists vs. the Patriots. Only 1/3 of the Colonists were Patriots, those who fought for freedom from Great Britan. Others, like Katie from our story Katie's Trunk were Loyalists. Katie has a problem with her neighbors, former friends. My students will create a concept map with solutions to her problem. The 2nd assignment my students will do is view podcasts from the Revolution. They will post your voice reactions to the podcasts. My students will explore my voice thread. At the end they will go listen to Revolutionary podcasts from http://www.ouramericanrevolution.org. They will view podcasts on the website about the Revolutionary War and leave their voice reactions to two of the podcasts. What other events should I add to make my podcast more interactive for my fifth grade students? What other follow up activities would you suggest I add? Let me know what you think.

Social Constructivism
Social learning theories support our classroom-learning environment in the 21st century. Dr. Orey discusses that social learning theory is a way in which students collaborate in learning (Dr. Orey, 2009). Students construct meaning and are engaged in conversations with others regarding the curriculum. (Laureate Education, Inc. 2009). Cognitive tools perspective focuses on the learning of cognitive skills and strategies. Students engage in those social learning activities that involve hands-on project-based methods and utilization of discipline-based cognitive tools (Gredler, 1997; Prawat & Folden, 1994).

I support social learning theory as an educator. I think it is essential that our twenty-first century students know how to interact with one another. Interpersonal skills are one of the most critical skills that our students need to thrive in the 21st Century. Students need to construct meaning through interactions with others and through their environments. Dr. Michael Orey commented that educators build learning in their environments with students and active engagement occurs when there is collaboration amongst students (Dr. Orey, 2009).

Social learning theories influence activities, lessons, and cooperative learning. In order to be successful in the 21st century classroom, we need to promote cooperative learning through the use of technology. Blogs, Wikis, and Voice Threads are a perfect way to have social learning and technology integrated into a classroom setting. They provide students with high interest. It is a way in getting kids to write something and the technology motivates them. Our students are digital natives and technology tools are an important part of them. Blogs, Wikis, and Voice Threads are social networking tools because students are required to interact with group members.


Gredler, Prawat & Folden. (1994 and 1997). Social Constructivism. In Intersubjectivity of Social Meanings. Retrieved July 26, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009). Program number 9: Social learning theories [DVD]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore, MD: Author. (2005). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your statement from Michael Orey that states: "Active engagement occurs when there is collaboration amongst students." It is amazing to see the learning that takes place when students collaborate within the classroom environment.

    Blogs, Wikis, and Voice Threads are easy tools to incorporate into the classroom environment in order to build 21st Century skills within our students. How are you planning to incorporate Voice Threads into your classroom in order to build collaboration and communication between students? Besides Social Studies, how might you use a Voice Thread throughout other subject areas with your students? I also created my Voice Thread around a standard in Social Studies, but am curious how other educators might use it within other subject areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voice threads were completely brand new to me this week. I thought I could start with Social Studies because it would be an easy subject to incorporate into our curriculum. It could easily be incorporated into book talks and literature circles as well. After the reading group has read their novel, they could go to the computer lab and instead of doing a written book response, they could do a voice thread and have other students comment and leave their insights into the novel they just read. The possibilities are endless. I loved your voice thread! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your VT was great and I like how you incorporated podcasts into your VT. Sometimes the use of all this technology can be quite overwhelming and I think the way you used both was great. I think Science and Social Studies are 2 subjects that would be fairly simple to incorporate the use of VoiceThreads as well as it would make the subjects more interesting and interactive for the students. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it is important to teach students how to interact with each other and collaborate in different environments as you mentioned. Having this week to play with voice thread and looking at web quest I feel that I can create a fun and interactive way for students to share ideas and make learning meaningful. Your VT is very inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how much information you included into your VoiceThread regarding the Revolutionary War. You also had good use of pictures for each piece of information. I had some difficulty clicking on the links on the first slide. Every time I clicked on one, I received an error message when the page tried to open. Did you have problems accessing them at all? I'm not sure if I was only the only having problems or if it is my web browser.

    I loved how you incorporated the use of other internet tools into your VoiceThread. I hadn't thought of this! This is a great way to incorporate the use of many tools into one subject areas so that students understand how all of them can be related in order to show their understanding. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will work more on the first slide. I was having difficulty with the magnifying glass and the link. Maybe I can just put one link on there.

    I talked to my 13 year old niece and her teacher used voice threads last year. She said that she loved it. They used them for a literature unit they were working on. I can't wait to try them this year.

    ReplyDelete