Thursday, July 7, 2011

Behavior Learning Theory, Homework, and Technology

Technology makes it easier for students and teachers to track the effects of effort and provide more immediate feedback.  By charting student’s achievement it reinforces the relationship between effort and achievement.  Students are able to know where they need to improve.   According to Parkay & Hass (2000), the desired outcome needs to be rewarded for learning to take place in the classroom.  When we use positive reinforcement, students will rise to the task at hand.  According to Standridge, (Standridge, 2008), behaviorism is observable and measureable.  All human behavior is learned and can be changed.   Students can change their beliefs and misconceptions and stereotypes about themselves.

One way is to make the connection between effort and achievement by using spreadsheets.  It is a rubric that gives students clear expectations.  Rubrics are powerful tools that help students achieve success.  I like http://rubistar.4teachers.org/ website for creating rubrics.  I find that lessons are more powerful and my expectations are set when I have given created rubrics before an assignment. Students will rise to the teachers expectations.  Clear expectations insures all students success.  

Another way to show students that effort is tied to achievement is by showing them data. By looking at charts and rubrics students can clearly see the relationship to their effort and grades are earned.  I like giving my students grades in a timely manner.  When they know the areas they can improve on, they work hard.  Students need clear expectations and they need to know where they are at in order to put more effort into their work.  


My class this past fall did a reading test.  After the test, I gave my student a graph that charted 12 areas of reading  (main idea, compare contrast, author’s purpose, inferring, sequence, etc.).  After looking at the chart students were given a goal sheet.  Many students set a goal to improve main idea.  They were specific goals.  When they took the posttest I gave them the chart again and students scores improved.   Students had clear goals and a chart that helped them realize where they needed to focus on. 

Another way teachers can improve effort is with homework.  Homework gives students a chance to practice and review concepts they have learned.  It gives them good study habits.  It is very important that the students work to their potential.  Homework policy should be designed to hold the students accountable and to reinforce and monitor their skills.  Technology can provide a wealth of resources for learning.  It can provide students with time to collaborate.  Word processing, spreadsheets, multimedia, and blogs can make homework practice a useful tool for student’s achievement.  A recommendation that I am making for my school is to have laptops accessible for student check out.  I have about 70% of my students with Internet or a home computer.  There are ways in which students can use the technology that we have in order to be more successful in homework practice and technology. 

I like http://www.mhschool.com/math/2009/ca/student/grade5/ to practice the math concepts and review.  There is a personal tutor that will review the lesson for the day.  I make sure my parents are aware of the free tool at Back to School Night.  I also like http://www.eduplace.com/kids/hme/k_5/grammar/.  This is a good grammar website that review 5th grade concepts.  When students use web resources, it allows them to practice concepts and skills.  It is differentiated for the individual students and appeal to many of our students.  I will give assignments to parents during conferences for various websites to explore because the interest in the website is high and beneficial to student learning.  I know when students are practicing concepts again, it will aide in their achievement and success.  

Marzano, R.J., Pickering, D.J., & Pollock, J.E. (2001).  Classroom instruction that works: Research-based strategies for increasing student achievement.  Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Parkay, F.W. & Hass, G. (2000). Curriculum planning: A contemporary approach (7th ed.). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

Melissa Standridge. (2008). Behaviorism. In Review of Behaviorism. Retrieved July 6, 2011, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Behaviorism.

5 comments:

  1. In the past, homework has a controversial topic in education. Many teachers have argued how much, if any, homework to give to students. I agree that homework is important for students to practice and apply what they have learned in the classroom. I think it is also important for parents to see what their children are working on in school. I think it is challenging for teachers to assign homework with a technology aspect because there are students who have limited access to computers and/or the internet at home. I like your idea of allowing students to sign out laptops to use at home. How would you suggest keeping track of the computers students sign out in order to maintain security measures, such as making sure the computers do not get lost, stolen, broken, or otherwise damaged?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your statement that "Technology makes it easier for students and teachers to track the effects of effort and provide more immediate feedback." I have also used rubistar to make rubrics for students to use. I love the use of a rubric because then students are aware of how they will be graded and can put forth effort for the grade they desire. I have tried to involve my students in the creation of the rubric process as well. I have found that when I include them in the assessment process, they feel that they have more ownership in how they are graded and then are not as surprised by their grade. I have also used a rubric in order for students to assess their own work before I assess it. It is always interesting to see any discrepancies between how students assess themselves and how I assess them. I often use these discrepancies to help students reflect on their work so that they can reach a better grade in the future.

    Have you ever used a spreadsheet with your students to track effort and grades? This is something I have never done with my students, but would like to try this year. I've had challenges with trying to get my students to understand how effort influences their grades, and internalizing the importance of effort to their success in school, but feel this is such an important lesson to teach students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not use spreadsheets for students. I do use graphic organizers (bar graphs) to compare pre and post tests. I do have grade reports I can print at any time for students to track their progress. Our middle school has an online grade system for students to go on the internet and view their grades. I am working with our IT person to find out how we at the elementary level can join in. I am all for students being in touch with their grades.

    Students can be held responsible with a contract for laptops. We charge them when they break textbooks. I know a laptop is more expensive so I am not sure how that would be possible. I know there are schools in my area who check laptops out for students. The high school in a surrounding district does this for students. I know we can get our IT people over to the high school to see what they do.

    We do have school campus open until 6:00 everyday for after school care. I don't see why it can't be possible for students to use the computer lab during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cami-

    I also provide my parents with a list of educational web sites on back to school night. I encourage them to allow their children to go on the sites from time to time to reinforce skills and practice material learned in school. Do you find that a majority of your students actually go on the web sites at home? I know some teacher that make it a homework assignment. I have never made it a homework assignment, but it may be good to use for extra credit. I don't think we can force our students to go on web sites at home, but we can certainly encourage it and make the parents aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't force it to be homework but we can highly encourage it. I have a list of websites linked on my class website and I talk about my website at Back to School Night. Extra credit is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete